The land of Gods is synonymous to fascinating tales of faith and fiesta, enthusiasm & exuberance. Therefore, it is all about celebration and reverence. How about having a slice of the cultural festivity in the hills?
The fairs & festivals in Himachal have been significant for they serve the needs of social integration and more importantly cultural survival. There are 20 state level fairs or festivals recognized by the State Government and most of them are mythological in nature.
The Hill Gypsy aims to take you on an intriguing journey for a fair fiesta holiday to the Chamba Valley in Himachal Pradesh. Celebrate the State level Minjar Mela– the gala affair to please the rain God Varun for timely rain in the region.In particular, for a good harvest.
Know Your Destination
Minjar means- tassels and during this fair people sacrifice them in the Ravi River to drive away the evil spirits and pray for their prosperity. The commencement of the fair held at the famous chowgan is heralded by the distribution of Minjar. It is a silk tassel in the lankness of golden shoots of maize which is worn by pride on the dress by the local people for one week (in the last week of July). It is later immersed in the river as an offering to the water God.
The Minjar fair has a number of legends. The Ravi River in the valley used to flow between Champavati temple and Hari Ram temple in Chamba. People found it difficult to visit both the temples together. The then Raja Sahil Verman asked a saint to make temples easily accessible to people. The saint then performed a yajna at the Champavati temple where several sadhus participated. It was witnessed by the king and his subjects as well.
It is during the yajna, sadhus used a magical cord of seven different colors amidst chanting of mantras. This became a symbol of Minjar. The legend goes on to say that the river changed its course of water after seven days of the yajna.
- Experience the enthusiasm & folk life of the Chamba town during the week long International fair.
- Listen to the folklores and enjoy the various exhibits and recreational events in the huge Chamba Chowgan.
- A guided tour of the fair and interactions with the locals- their culture and cuisine.
- Enjoy the cultural evenings brimming with folk dance performances, celebrity singers and much more.
- Visit the Akhand Chandi Palace- a blend between the Mughal and the British style of architecture.
- Seek the blessings of the almighty at the ancient temples of Laxmi Narayan , Champavati and Chamunda.
- Visit the Bhuri Singh museum for an insight into the art & culture of Chamba region.
- Meet the local artists who create the famous handcrafted Chamba rumals & Chamba chapals. Get acquainted with their artistic treasures.
- Visit Saho village to get a feel of the village. Moreover,meet the tribal Gaddi community. In addition, opt for an optional short hike.
- Enjoy picnic by the riverside.
- Speed boat ride at the nearby scenic Chamera Power Project site.
- Day trip to the Khajjiar- aptly called the mini Switzerland
- Optional day trip to Dalhousie.
- Relish local pahari cuisine & tales.
- We are immense nature lovers and care for our environment. We shall take you for a small plantation drive in the area for a little contribution from your side in light of the declining forest cover in the hills.
- Our prices are all inclusive which literally means you do not spend a single penny other than any expense that is entirely personal in nature.
- Prices per person include all transfers, accommodation, all 3 meals of the day in addition to evening tea and snacks.This aslo includes all entry tickets, guided visits and mentioned adventure activities. Besides, a few surprises and incentives for our guests.
- We only deal in 3 stars and above rated properties, luxury villas and high end apartments & home stays. Other than that, only for a few destinations which do not have such availability. They are however, comfortable, hygienic and offer a good view
- A detailed trip itinerary with regard to accommodation, transfers, day wise activities and inclusions will be shared once you book the trip with us.
- Additions such as
-extending the days of stay
-adding a new destination or clubbing a trip
-upgrading to an accommodation of choice- subject to availability
– changes or additions in the food menu or activities can be made to the trip other than the mentioned itinerary, which may incur an additional expenditure.
We at The Hill Gypsy will be more than happy to serve you and will sure get you addicted to the mountains, if not already.
We look forward to a long lasting alliance with you!