An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Sure it does!
So how about a trip to the scenic apple heartland of Himachal. An opportunity to witness the journey of the red beauties in the midst of sprawling apple orchards. All that and much more, during their harvest season
Here’s your chance to release yourself from the clutches of the urban mess. Calm your distressed senses and refresh your souls with a dose of fresh oxygen. Here, in the quietude of a small village, nestled in harmony with nature among lush apple plantations.
Let the Hill Gypsy take you on a fun filled holiday in the apple heartland of Thanedhar and Kotgarh near Shimla. Therefore, come inhale the essence of pahari hospitality in the most authentic way. For that matter, we endeavor to take you on a journey like no other does.
Know Your Destination
Surrounded by captivating, picturesque small villages, apple orchards and thick deodar jungles, the quaint towns of Thanedhar and Kotgarh are truly bestowed with eye catchy panoramic views. And of course, that dose of unadulterated fresh air to soothe your senses. Kotgarh is famous for its apple orchards and scenic charms. Come monsoon and the apple crop is barely a month and a half away from the harvest season- indeed a picturesque sight to behold.
The Apple Tale
The apple growing settlements of Thanedhar and Kotgarh region owe their prosperity to the ingenuity of Samuel Satyanand Stokes (1882-1946). This missionary from Philadelphia in America came to work in Punjab in the beginning of the 20th century. He settled here and adopted its lifestyle. In 1916, Stokes planted his first orchard with a few saplings brought from America. Furthermore,he continued experimenting and distributed plants for free. He convinced farmers to switch to apple and finally the Red Delicious and the Golden Delicious took the Shimla market by storm in 1927. His efforts turned the upper hills of Shimla region into a booming apple industry and in no time, apple orchards cropped up all over the valley. Stokes’ life is the saga of a man who as he said, “came to teach but stayed to learn”
- A dedicated Village Tour in Thanedhar and Kotgarh includes a village walk/ trek through the apple farms. These farms also grow cherry, kiwi and apricots. Enjoy while you learn the process of harvesting apples. Plucking, picking and packing the red beauties, thereby also learning the use of modern production technology.
- A basic know how of village life in this apple region, interactions with the locals, understanding their cultural history and lifestyle in brief.
- Visit Tanijubba Lake situated in the midst of sprawling deodars.
- Apart from that, see the nearby highest Hatu peak. Enjoy a 360 degree view of the Himalayas at 11,180 feet above sea level.
- Visit the wooden crafted temple of Goddess Kali at the peak.
- Visit the 150 year old St. Mary’s Church in Kotgarh.
- Besides sightseeing, take an eco-trek in the pristine and relatively undisturbed natural areas.
- How about a dose of adventure? Opt for rock climbing/off roading/ cycling/ camping/ trekking/ (skiing in winters only) and much more.
- We are immense nature lovers and care for our environment. We shall take you for a small plantation drive in the area. This will be nonetheless, a little contribution from your side in light of the declining forest cover in the hills.
- Our prices are all inclusive which literally means you do not spend a single penny other than any expense that is entirely personal in nature.
- Prices per person include all transfers, accommodation, all 3 meals of the day in addition to evening tea and snacks. This also includes all entry tickets, guided visits, mentioned adventure activities besides a few surprises and incentives for our guests.
- We only deal in 3 stars and above rated properties, luxury villas and high end apartments & home stays. Other than that, only for a few destinations which do not have such availability. Although, they are comfortable, hygienic & and offer a good view.
- A detailed trip itinerary with regard to accommodation, transfers, day wise activities, inclusions and trip cost will be shared once you book the trip with us.
- Additions such as
-extending the days of stay
– adding a new destination or clubbing a trip
– upgrading to an accommodation of choice- subject to availability
– changes or additions in the food menu or activities can be made to the trip other than the mentioned itinerary, which may incur an additional expenditure.
The Hill Gypsy will be more than happy to serve you. We will sure get you addicted to the mountains, if not already.
We look forward to a long lasting alliance with you!