'Simla is only four days march
from Loodhianah (Ludhiana),
is easy of access, and proves a
very agreeable refuge from the
burning plains of Hindoostaun'
Favorite Hill Station of the British
With this in mind,the Governor General as well as Commanders-in-Chief of British regime paid regular visits. While a number of young British officers started visiting the area with attention to socialize with the higher-ups. This was followed by ladies looking for marriage alliances for their relatives. Shimla thus became a hill station famous for balls, parties and other festivities. Subsequently, residential schools for pupils from upper class families were established near-by. The place was a melting pot of European and Indian architecture. It was quite modern and ahead of its times in its days gone by. Most of the area occupied by present-day Shimla city was dense forest during the 18th century. The only civilization was the Jakhoo temple besides a few scattered houses. To sum up, it is a bustling town of over half a million today.
Let The Hill Gypsy take you on a historic journey into this erstwhile Queen of hills like no other.
Know Your Destination
Shimla Heritage Walk
After all, the Queen of Hills can be best explored on foot easily.For the most part, it is high street. The iconic Mall road and ridge are pedestrianized. A leisurely four kilometre walk covers most of the heritage buildings from the British era. As you walk the lanes of the town you see the Gothic, neo gothic, Tudor, Moc Tudor, Georgian, Bavarian, Khat-Kuni, baronial and of, course some concrete structures. They still exude the same charm and nostalgia, thereby, giving a sneak- peak into the city’s colonial history.
- Stay in a heritage property surrounded by serene environs.
- Undertake a guided heritage walk. See the historical landmarks of the town along with a dose of history.
- Walk past the historic, over 150 year old Christ Church. It is the second oldest in North India. The Church was built by the British in 1857 to serve the large Anglican British community in the city. Take a tour and explore its interesting past.
- Visit the 19th century landmark, the Gaiety Theater. The iconic structure was named after the famous Gaiety Theater of London. It was indeed designed by renowned English architect Henry Irwin.
- Next follows the Scandal Point and old the Telegraph office. Get acquainted with the history of the once tallest structure in the colonial town-the Town Hall.
- Walk up till the Annadale ground view point. Then towards the Vidhan Sabha, together with, passing by the old railway Board building. This is followed by the famous Kali Bari temple, the Command House and the Cecil hotel. All these, while you take a look at the State Museum as well as the old military area of the city.
- In conclusion, the heritage walk ends at the historically significant and architecturally impressive structure in the city. The Vice Regal Lodge was the summer residence of the Indian Viceroy. As a matter of fact, it is presently known as the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies. It has well maintained gardens.
- How about a a dose of royalty in the hills? Interact with the royalty at Dhami House over lunch.
- Furthermore, relish local pahari cuisine.
- We are immense nature lovers and care for our environment. We shall take you for a small plantation drive in the area. This will be a little contribution from your side in the light of the declining forest cover in the hills.
- Our prices are all inclusive. This, of course means that you do not spend a single penny. Although, it excludes any expense that is entirely personal in nature.
- Prices per person include all transfers, accommodation, all 3 meals of the day in addition to evening tea and snacks. The price per person covers all entry tickets, guided visits, mentioned adventure activities, besides a few surprises and incentives for our guests.
- We only deal in 3 stars and above rated properties, luxury villas and high end apartments and comfortable home stays. However,other than that, only for a few destinations which do not have such availability. Although, they are comfortable, hygienic and offer a good view.
- A detailed trip itinerary with regard to accommodation, transfers, day wise activities, inclusions and trip cost will be shared once you book the trip with us.
- Additions such as
-extending the days of stay
-adding a new destination
-clubbing another trip
-upgrading to an accommodation of choice- subject to availability
-changes or additions in the food menu or activities can be made to the trip other than the mentioned itinerary, which may incur an additional expenditure.
The Hill Gypsy will be more than happy to serve you. We will sure get you addicted to the mountains, if not already.
We look forward to a long lasting alliance with you!